This turntable mat reviews will highlight some of the best turntable mats available in the market in 2019. It is an assortment of stylish turntable mats that will undoubtedly add to the appeal and the functionality of your turntable and sound system.
What is a turntable mat?
This is a disk-shaped entity placed in between the platter and the vinyl record. The role of the turntable mat is to keep the record steady and ensure smooth movement as it spins. A good quality mat serves the purpose of dampening any turntable motor noise producing an even sound throughout. The mats are available in different variety of material and each material delivers a different acoustic experience. A mat is an essential accessory in for you turntable player as it increases the sound quality and reduces the skipping rate of the record.
Why get a turntable mat?
A turntable mat’s purpose is to; ensure record protection, increase sound quality, reduce friction and absorb the turntable mechanical sounds. If you own a turntable you may notice the records have some static when you remove and put them in their sleeves. The best turntable mat has the ability to reduce the static, as static tends to attract dust to the records and give them a pop sound.
These are the factors to consider before buying a mat are; cost, durability, antistatic, sound enhancement, color, size, weight, flexibility, compatibility to turntables, and protection.
Best Turntable Mat On The Market In 2019
our research team run some test on random vinyl player mats after test 15 of them finally we have made a list of 5 best turntable mats which you can try for your record player. If you Also need record clamp read our record clamp buying guide.
1. Hudson Hi-Fi Turntable Platter Mat
This mat is made of silicone rubber which is an upgrade aimed at improving record sound quality. The mat makes sure the records sit flat on the mat hence during playback less vibrations are impacted. Less vibrations results to quality sound production. It has no static and dampens the mechanical noise from the record player. It is the best turntable mat for rega and it is also compatible with Pro-Ject, Music Hall, and Fluance audio systems.
- Material– it is made of silicone rubber material. The material has less static and allows smooth rotation of the record.
- Size -this record player mat is a 12 inch flat making it a fit perfectly with normal sized platters. It hence does fit onto most of the platters in the market.
- Cost –the turntable is pocket-friendly and purchase of the product guarantees maximum satisfaction.
- Compatibility– it is compatible with most turntable designs like Rega, Music Hall, Fluance among others.
- Durability– this turntable is long lasting but the rubber tends to flake after multiple uses. The flakes are annoying to clean and affect the rotation of the record.
- Static– has a low static ability, therefore, it doesn’t attract dust to the records. It dampens background noises.
- Weight – according to reviews the mat is a bit heavy and thick but despite that, it fits perfectly with various platters. The weight may affect the movement of the record.
- Sound quality-Absorbs mechanical sounds produced when the turntable mortar is running giving quality musical sound.
- Protection –the mat is very smooth and soft hence ensuring the safety of the record while playing.
- It is compatible with most turntables
- Reduces static hence less dust attraction
- Reduces mechanical sounds produced by the turntable
- Protects the records from scratches.
- It is pocket-friendly
- Rubber material flakes after multiple uses
- The rubber material tends to have a foul smell due to the friction
2. Premium Leather Deer Hide Turntable Mat
The material used to make this mat is leather for deer hide. The deer hide is of good quality in comparison to other animal hides making this mat expensive. The mat is flexible and has soft texture on touch hence give protection to the records. The turntable has less static compared to other materials available.
This mat helps to dampen some sound to improve the quality and as well as enhance the bass tones. The leather turntable has an appealing appearance. It is only available in the black and chocolate brown colors. The leather mat is compatible with Rega, Linn, Music Hall, Avid, Pro-Ject, VPI, Audio-Technics, Jensen, Thorens, Garrard, Micro Seiki, and other brands.
- Cost –the leather deer hide turntable is expensive because the deer hide is twice as costly as other leathers. You can purchase it if you can afford it.
- Material– it is made of handcrafted deer hide. The end result is a soft and classy turntable mat.
- Size – the mat fits at a perfect 12 inches. This is the standard platters size in most brands.
- Compatibility-this leather mat is compatible with most brands like Linn, Thorens, Pro-Ject, Avid among others
- Durability– leather from animal skin is strong and long-lasting. The mat is accompanied by a warranty during purchase.
- Static– it carries no static according to customer reviews, hence less or no attraction to dust particles. There is no presence of crack or pop sounds during playback
- Sound quality-improves the acoustics enhances the bass tones in the music. Each material affects sound differently.
- Protection– the deerskin is made into the very soft leather and it gives good protection to the records.
- Weight – it is light as the lightweight materials make sure there is no drag on the vinyl as it systematically gains speed.
- Color– this turntable is available in black and chocolate brown colors.
- Can be custom made to your platters dimensions to make a perfect fit.
- once you have this you can use it for a long time
- It is antistatic
- This mat doesn’t observe dust
- It enhances the bass tone
- The most useful benefit of this mat it doesn’t scratch the vinyl player and record
- you can clean it without any hassle.
- It is costly
- It is only available in two colors.
3. Turntable Lab: Cork & Rubber Record Mat
This product stands in for the ultimate Cork turntable mat review. The cork and rubber mat is a combination of the qualities in each to make an ideal mat. It absorbs mechanical sound partially. Due to the combination of cork and rubber, this mat is heavier the rest.
The weight gives it a firms grip on the platters. This turntable has less static this guarantees that the records will play smoothly and less attraction to dust. The cork and rubber mat works with all the brands of turntables but gives the best outcome when used on metallic platters. This mat is not commended for use by the DJs. This turntable mat is costly. The combination of the cork color and the rubber creates a beautiful color.
- Material –the mat is made of cork and rubber in that their best qualities are married together to produce excellent results.
- Cost– the mat is a bit costly compared to the rubber, slipmats and cork mats.
- Compatibility -the vinyl player mat works well enough with most turntables in the market but it has the best results if paired with the metal platter.
- Size – this mat is thicker than ordinary cork mats or rubber mats.
- Durability-the mat is long lasting and retains its quality despite the number of times it is used.
- Sound quality– the record sound is improved with special sound enhancements due to a combination of the cork and rubber attributes.
- Static– the static is less no matter how long the vinyl plays for. It creates no pop sounds during playback.
- Weight- the weight of the cork and rubber materials is substantial favoring good grip to the platter and less spillage.
- Protection –the rubber smooth quality gives the record smooth running while playing. The cork material, however, has tiny wood like particles that flake off and can scratch the record.
- Color-it has a beautiful color of the combination of light brown from the cork and black from the rubber material.
- It is durable
- Has more grip to the platter
- Has less spillage when running
- It has a better static resistance
- It is anti-static
- This is the best turntable mat for the metal platter
- It is expensive
- It is mostly compatible with the metal platter
- you cannot be used by DJs.
4. Turntable Slipmat Anti-Static Cork Mat – 1/8″ Thick Vinyl Record Player Pad
The slipmats are well upgraded to give quality overall sound improvement. The best turntable slipmats such as this one are antistatic and absorb mechanical noise from the turntable’s mortar. The slipmat is compatible with most brands of turntables but perfect results are given on the metal platter.
The slipmats are designed to slip on the platter and this allows the DJ to control a record on the turntable while the platter is still rotating. This feature is used during beat-matching, slip-cueing, mixing and pulling records. The slipmat is well decorated so it is often placed on turntables for aesthetic purposes. It is pocket-friendly compared to most of the turntables in the market. This mat also has a 2-year satisfactory guarantee. Making it one of the best turntable mats for audiophiles.
- Material– the slipmat is made of cork. The cork used is thin and lightweight. It is made in a way that it is antistatic
- Size– this mat is 1/8 inch thick. This characteristic is key to reducing spillage and improving playback.
- Cost– the slipmat is affordable compared to the leather and cork and rubber mats. It offers a cheap way to improve your record player.
- Compatibility-the mat works perfectly fine with most turntable brands in the market but its most preferable being the metal platter.
- Durability– slipmat antistatic cork mat is highly durable. The brand promises smooth to use for 2 years.
- Sound quality-the mat being antistatic improves the quality of the overall sound of the record player. It is the main reason why DJs prefer to use it.
- Static– it is made as non-static therefore it doesn’t attract dust particles and it plays without a pop sound.
- Weight– it is lightweight which a positive factor in the rotation of the record. Lightweight material allows smooth movement of the record while it is playing.
- Protection– the mat is smooth but the cork material produces the wood particles in due time and it finally falls apart.
- Color– the mat is available in chocolate brown and light brown colors.
- you can have it paying a little amount
- it is antistatic
- it is durable
- improve vinyl sound record
- easily manipulated by DJs
- It is well compatible with the metal platter.
- Generation of numerals fragments after multiple uses of the mat.
5. Acrylic Turntable Mat | GreenLit | LP Slipmat Made in USA
Acrylic is one of the densest mats that has a consistent speed and reduction in vibrations to give quality sound experience. This turntable is made of acrylic. It has a clear green reflecting edge making it look cool and classy. It tends to have a tighter bass in comparison to the other mats.
The mat is carried with a removable protective film round it to prevent scratches. It has a well-improved sound quality which is possible because it dampens all background noises and mechanical sounds. The acrylic turntable is a perfect fit for all platters of 12 inches which is the standard gauge for most turntables in the market. It has reduced static hence reducing the attraction to dust.
- Material – it is made of acrylic which dampens the sound and reduces vibrations. The sound is fully absorbed if the record and the mat are of the same quality.
- Size– the mat is 12 inches in diameter with a thickness of 3mm. This is a factor as to why it is a perfect fit for most turntables in the market.
- Cost– the acrylic turntable is pricey compared to all the other turntables available in the market.
- Durability– the mat is long lasting and comes with a viable warranty. The turntable retains its quality even after multiple uses.
- Compatibility– This mat is compatible with all the turntables with a platter of 12 inches brands available in the market.
- Weight– it has a lightweight which allows it to move freely on the platter and allow smooth rotation of the record.
- Static– the material is anti-static, it has no attraction to dust particles. This keeps the records clean and allows smoothness during playback.
- Sound quality- has a neutral see through sound quality which improved dynamics.
- Color– it has a green color on the edges. Some mats are available in red colors which looks cool when playing a record.
- Protection– the mat is shipped with a removable protective layer to avoid any scratches. The acrylic turntable mat is smooth to prevent any scratches to the record.
- This mat can compete with most turntable mate in the market
- It is anti-static
- This mat has differt color variation
- Has a protective layer to prevent scratches
- It is expensive to purchase
- It doesn’t fit some turntables
QUESTION AND ANSWER
What functions do turntable mats serve?
In a nutshell, turntable mats serve three functions: sound improvement, friction reduction for DJs, and record protection.
Why is it important that you find a high-quality turntable mat?
It’s critical that you find a high-quality mat that will eliminate any comments and provide a crisp sound. Mats are an excellent upgrade when you’re having problems with static, dust and when you’re seeking to improve your sound experience.
What should you look for in a vinyl record player mat?
- A mat should add an aesthetic appeal to your set up. It allows you to express yourself as you put together your favorite sounds.
- when you have a record player that should protect your lp from damaging. Also, when scratching and mixing, mats help reduce the friction that’s applied to records. A mat can also improve the sound.
- Buy a mat that not only reduces friction while remaining in position as sliding around is such an inconvenience when you’re using a turntable.
- Leather or cork materials make excellent mats as they are durable materials that don’t cause unnecessary friction but also provide a good grip.
How To Choose a Turntable Mat Buying Guide
What to consider when buying a vinyl player record mat;
Material – the material used to make the turntable mat is a factor as different materials give different results. The mat can be glass, rubber, cork, leather, cork and rubber, fern, acrylic among others. The type of material affects the weight, size, and smoothness of the mat. The material also affects the sound quality of the record playing.
Cost- the mat available in the market vary in terms of prices. The cork, rubber and glass mats are affordable. The acrylic, cork & rubber and leather are more costly. Cost is dependent on the quality of the materials, the way in which the mat was made. Handmade mats are the most expensive as most buy them custom made to their own liking. When buying a mat get one at a pocket-friendly price and with good qualities too.
Weight- the weight of a mat may seem like a minor factor of consideration but that is not the case. The weight does play a role too. The mat is either light or heavy weight. The lightweight mats spin with ease as the record plays and has no disturbance to the record, the problem is its lightweight makes it detach from the platter while spinning and this can destroy the groove lines on the vinyl. Heavy ones hold perfectly to the platter but if they don’t have a smooth top then the grooves are affected.
Sound quality-the sound quality is improved by the use of the turntable mats. The mat absorbs all the background noises in the record it dampens the mechanical sounds and maintains the quality of the sound from the beginning of the album to the end.
A good quality turntable has better acoustics in comparison to the CDs and the MP3 player. Select the best mat for your turntable for excellent results. The turntables enhance specific resonance in a record like a deer hide leather mat enhances the bass tone.
Protection- the turntables available in the market have the quality to protect the record from any damage whatsoever. The acrylic turntable mat is even shipped with a removable protective layer to prevent scratches to the mat. Soft or smooth mats protect the record grooves from damage during spinning.
Compatibility- the turntables are made incompatibility with most record players. The brands of turntables available in the market include; Rega, Linn, Music Hall, Avid, Pro-Ject, VPI, Audio-Technics, Jensen, Thorens, Garrard, Micro Seiki, and other brands. Some mat gives better results when paired with specific brands. e.g. the cork and rubber turntable works better on the metal platter. Buy the mat that has the best compatibility with your results.
Durability- the durability of different turntable mats differs from one to the other. The type of material is the reason as to how long a mat can last. The cork material tends to fall apart if used multiple times. The rubber materials are not durable either. Most of the turntables on the market come with a warranty during purchase and they offer full refunds if a product is not what the buyer paid for.
Static- static is the electrical charges generated when the record is spinning. Presence of static tends to attract dust which is annoying to keep clean. Some records have static even when you remove them from the sleeves. Static affects the sound quality by making a pop sound when a song is playing. It also affects playback and causes spillage. Get a turntable mat with no static.
Texture –the texture of the mat varies from smooth to very soft. The smoother or softer the mat the better as the record will rotate at ease and at regular intervals. Soft mats protect the disks from any scratches. Choose smooth quality mats to enhance durability.
Color- the available colors range from black, dark brown, chocolate brown, light brown, green and red. Some are custom made as the owner likes with logos of their favorite bands, artists, animals or slogans. Some colors do make the record player appear classy and expensive.
Installation-installing a vinyl player mat is not a technical procedure. Make sure you buy the mat that is the best fit for your turntable. Removing the mat from the platter is also easy and convenient if one needs to clean or replace the mat.
Flexibility– the flexibility of the turntable mats helps audiophiles to manipulate the sound. They are able to mix, stop and pull up a track in the album. The can create interesting music sounds buy scratching or using sound effects. The acrylic and cork & rubber are the best turntables for the audiophiles.
DEER HIDE TURNTABLE MAT
This innovative premium Deer Hide Mat is a creation of Jake’s Turntable Mats. Unlike most mats, this mat is made from deer hide which is known to be soft and supple. The material is also dust and static resistant material which helps minimize vibrations which, in turn, makes for excellent quality sound.
Users also love the added motor sound dampening as well as the bass response.
What also stands out about the mat is that it’s meticulously hand cut. This creates a defect-free and uniform mat. In addition, the center holes are made a bit smaller which limits mat slippage. The manufacturer recommends that users have the grain side up. This makes for the best possible sound.
Although the mat is pricier, that can be justified by the fact that deer hide is pricier compared leather used on cheaper mats.
Turntables are not out of style maybe because the whole process of choosing a record, removing it from the sleeve placing it on the platter and gently placing on the stylus is an addictive ritual that not that easy to stop. The verdict of the best turntable mats to buy is dependent on the ears.
Only your ears can tell if you enjoy the music. The best vinyl record player mat will come in handy to improve the sound of your favorite album that you listen to after a long day at work or when music is what you just need to lift your spirits. If you own a turntable without a turntable mat you are missing out on quality sounds and other benefits people are already experiencing. So go out and get one today!