What your turntable needs is a stereo receiver if it doesn’t have one that is built-in. A turntable receiver is audio converting equipment that processes the sound in the form of electromagnetic waves from the turntable, and it pretty much makes it sound like CD or MP3 quality. The turntables maybe digital or vintage either way get the best receiver for turntables. The key to the quality audio output from your turntable is to have clean records, good quality stylus, and proper equipment. If the records have scratches and give off a pop sound from static build-up, then this imperfections will be amplified through the receiver.
Do you need an amplifier or a receiver for your equipment?
Receiver– the AV receiver performs given commands. It has both a tuner which boosts the audio signals and an amplifier which amplifies audio signals and feeds them to the speakers. The receiver has less wattage in comparison to the amplifier. If you want to boost sound from the turntable, an external amplifier may come in handy which means extra cost. If all you want is quality sound, then you need a receiver for the turntable.
Amplifier– this, on the other hand, receives audio signals from the receiver or the turntable directly and magnifies the sound, and the outcome is felt or heard in the speakers. Available amplifiers in the market have more power compared to the AV receiver. Amplifiers are available in modern tech, and you can get one that suits your musical buds cause amplifiers to give quality listening.
If you bought your record player in recent years, then it has a built-in preamp. What is a phono preamp? It is what you need in case your record player has very low or no sound when connected to the stereo. A phono preamp boosts the vinyl player output so the modern electronics can play at a suitable volume. if you are also looking for a best headphone for vinyl then have a look.
Top 5 best stereo receiver for turntables under 300 in 2020
we have tested 20 vinyl players for this guide and finally, we have come up with a list of top 5 stereo Receivers for turntables. This guide will help you to choose one of them which meets your all requirement and needs so let’s start our journey.
1. Yamaha RX-V383BL 5.1-Channel 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver with Bluetooth
This is a product of Yamaha Audios and is among the best under 300 dollars. It is Bluetooth enabled allowing wireless music streaming. Has 4K Ultra HD video with HDCP 2.2, high dynamic range (HDR). It is compatible with turntables inclusive of; Linns, Music Hall and Pro-Ject et al.
providing some smooth, rich, high-quality tone. Also, Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma compatibility provide incredible contrast and smooth tone. yamaha RX-v383 has a great eco-friendly design with that it also saves more save 20% power because of its eco mode. The device is capable of increasing lengths of an audio path to an amplifier and reduces energy loss hence improving sound quality.
- Compatibility– It is compatible with the most vinyl player available in the market. Some of those brands being Linn, Music Hall, Rega, Thorens, Pro-Ject to mention but a few.
- Personal Preference– the type wholly and entirely depends on the customer’s choice and the kind of sound output they want to listen to. This is given plenty of thumbs up in relation to reviews on different sites.
- Budget– Yamaha RX-V383BL is the best stereo receiver under 300 dollars. It might not be cheap as such, but it is the best deal you can get. Get your finances in order when planning to purchase one of these bad boys.
- Material– it is made of quality material. The material is not very long-lasting it gets weary with time.
- No Phono input– It does not come with built-in phono input so need to buy extra photo input to connect with phono preamp.
- Bluetooth– Yamaha RX-V383BL has a Bluetooth feature making it possible to play music using a wireless connection. You can connect the digital vinyl record player and listen as the record plays no wires required at all.
- Sound quality– It is very powerful and of superior quality. It gives perfect sound results by increasing the quality of sound to high-definition and minimizes any mechanical noise.
- Weight– it has a shipping weight of 16.3 pounds averagely which an acceptable weight.
- Installation– the stereo receiver is shipped or available in stores with an installation manual, user guide, user manual and a specification sheet all available in PDF formats. it is easy to use.
- Warranty– Yamaha RX-V383BL has a solid warranty. Gives the customers faith of replacement if the item is not to their expected standards.
- Color– this great machine is available in bright colors you can match it to the color of your vinyl record player mat.
- Has Bluetooth connection
- Built-in phono input
- High-quality sound
- Cost below 300 dollars
- High power of 100 watts
- The material is not durable
- Too many instruction manuals may be confusing to clients
2.Yamaha R-S202BL Stereo Receiver ( Editor Choice )
The R-S202BL stereo receiver is a product of the Yamaha audios. This is good for a vinyl record player with its advanced circuitry design and inclusive of the Bluetooth feature to enable a wireless connection to the vinyl player. The brushed aluminum finish and simplistic design give it a sophisticated and modern look.
It has a low rate of power consumption. R-S202BL has a remote allowing control and manipulation of the vinyl playing. It has a calibration system and a microphone too to provide high-quality sound from the connected speakers. In addition, the receiver has a headphone slot so you can listen to the record playing via headphone isn’t that just cool. It also consumes low electric voltage.
- Budget– it is below 300 dollars and way cheaper compared to other receivers in the market.
- Compatibility– the device can be connected to any turntable without a built-in amplifier. It improves the record sound, reduces background noise and sends the signals to the amplifier or speakers.
- Personal Preference– Yamaha R-S202BL suits different people differently depending on what you are looking for. It is cheap and has high-quality sound output but can only support two speakers so if you want more then it is not a good choice for you.
- Material– the material used is durable, has less complains about the reviews. It will last longer with extra care. Has an aluminum finish.
- Phono input– has a phono input allowing perfect compatibility with the vinyl player. It is advantageous to vintage vinyl players because they have no built-in receivers or amplifiers.
- Bluetooth- it inclusive of the Bluetooth feature allowing wireless connectivity. No wires required to connect to the turntable.
- Headphone – it has a headphone slot to allow you to listen to your record via headphones. Headphones give quality sound output, and it is close to your ear so you can appreciate the music better.
- Sound quality- has an anti-resonant technology that functions by minimizing fluctuations of the sound quality.
- Installation– it is inclusive of a user guide and a user guide. It is straightforward to install no technical knowledge required.
- Warranty-during purchase the receiver is inclusive of a warranty so the product can if the client is displeased, be returned.
- Speakers– this receiver can support a maximum of two speaker system.
- A cheap receiver for turntables
- Easy to install
- Good sound quality
- Inclusive of headphone slot
- Has Bluetooth feature
- Only has two speaker slots
- It is heavy
3. Denon AVRS530BT 5.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD
Denon AVRS530BT is high powered minimizing the watts used when it is running. It is very well compatible with the vinyl record player available in the market. This outstanding machine has Bluetooth feature with the connectivity of 8 devices maximally. It can be linked with the vinyl player and include other devices available in the household.
It is easy to install because it comes with a setup gauging microphone adjustable to the limits the speakers can take and the space available. After installation, the receiver is easy to use. This is among the best under 300 dollars and of an affordable price. The sound output is worth purchasing the AVRS530BT.
- Budget– the AVRS530BT is for vinyl record players. In various stores, it is available in a price range of 300 dollars and below
- Compatibility– has perfect synchrony with the record players without discriminating any brands. In addition, it is also compatible with other household electronics like the stereo and home theatre.
- Personal Preference– it all depends on the sound output you are looking for. Our interest in music differs, and everyone is looking for what is best for them. AVRS530BT guarantees high-quality sound.
- Weight – it is a little bit heavy but can be carried. With the weight, it cannot be considered portable.
- Material-there has been a low level of complaints about the product user. That said you still need to make a personal initiative to keep the receiver in good condition for maximum results.
- Bluetooth– it is Bluetooth enabled to allow a secure connection to the vinyl player without the hustle of buying cables. The feature can link with a maximum of 8 devices, and one of those devices should be your turntable.
- Sound quality– the sound from Denon AVRS530BT is fantastic. The record volume is amplified and all the background data filtered. It is cheap for the vinyl player.
- Installation– putting it together is “no-brainer” just merely the following instruction according to the specification sheet, user guide and the user manual has given.
- Power consumption- the AVR has a high current discrete power output device all channels, therefore delivering high power at a maximum of 140 watts per channel.
- Warranty- this receiver is a product of Denno, and a warranty is issued alongside each item to give the customers faith in the product.
- It is cheap
- Has Bluetooth feature
- Easy to use
- Easy installation
- High-quality sound
- slow recognition of remote commands
- not durable
- It is heavy
4. Sony STRDH190 2-ch Stereo Receiver with Phono Inputs & Bluetooth
The Sony STRDH190 stereo receiver is 100 watts x 2 (8 ohms, 1 kHz). It has a built-in phono input. Has 4 Stereo RCA Audio Inputs, 3.5mm Input, and Stereo RCA Output. It has the Bluetooth feature allowing wireless connectivity.
It boosts the record playing on the turntable connecting up to 4 speakers A/B switching to play all at once, or in separate zones. Low-profile design fits easily into a conventional AV cabinet. Has a remote control with 2AA batteries inclusive. The STR-DH190 has four analog audio inputs and one output, so you can easily connect your vintage audio components like a vinyl record player, and recording devices.
- Phono input– this stereo receiver has a built-in phono input which is very important as it facilitates connection from the vinyl player to the speakers. It does make the sound better.
- Compatibility-because it has built-in phono input it is compatible with most turntables despite how old they are. It pairs perfectly with different speakers available in the market.
- Budget: it is a budget-friendly stereo receiver
- Speakers – the receiver can be connected to at most four speakers. This ensures maximum sound amplification and quality sound output
- Personal preference– if you are looking for a receiver with four analog audio inputs, and one stereo output to connect to you a vinyl player and can support four speakers this is an excellent place to start.
- Bluetooth– can be wirelessly connected to play music from your home theater, mobile devices, and the computer but most importantly it can perform your vinyl record.
- Sound quality– the connection of 4 speakers guarantees sound amplification, and the sound is high quality since any background noise is dampened for maximum results.
- Installation– it comes only with a user manual for installation instructions
- The warranty– the company has a guarantee to give clients faith and trust in the product.
- Reinforced chassis– they are meant to reduce any vibrations and allow clear music sounds.
- Reinforced with chassis
- High-quality sound
- Has remote control
- Bluetooth feature
- Has phono input
- Easy installation
- Minimum vibrations
- Accepts only one Bluetooth device at a time
- The bass quality is poor
- Poor instruction guide
5. Onkyo TX-8020 2 channel Stereo Receiver ( best choice with phono )
The Onkyo TX-8020 receiver has a Wide Range Amplifier Technology (WRAT)with 8 Ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz and not forgetting two channels driven. The handset also has 5 Analog audio inputs and one output, including Phono Input for turntable connection. It comes with a remote, and it controls the bass and tenor for easy song sound adjustment.
TX-8020 has excellent sound output. you will also able to connect the stereo receiver with bookshelf speakers or floor standing speakers. It is safe to say that the TX-8020 is the best vintage amplifier for your turntable. you will find no hassle to connect media players and TV including the DS-A5 RI dock with AirPlay.The TX-8020 receiver is easy to set up and even more comfortable to use.
- Compatibility-the TX-8020 receiver is compatible with most speakers including a bookshelf and floor standing speakers. It works perfectly with turntables because it has four analog audio inputs.
- Budget– the cost is low considering the product is vintage. It is either new or used depending on how much money you are willing to spend
- Phono input-has a built-in Phono input and four analog audio input slots ensuring perfect synchrony with the record player.
- Speaker support– it has a maximum of one audio output so mostly connect with bookshelf speakers or the floor standing speakers. Use what you have.
- Personal preference– if you own a vinyl record player and you are looking for the best receiver for turntables then this is it. The sound output is like nothing you have heard before.
- Sound quality– gives the best audio output there is. The albums playing on the vinyl record player are filtered and amplified it is beautiful to listen to.
- Installation- it comes with an installation guide that is easy to follow and set up. No technical capabilities required.
- Weight -TX8020 weighs 16.1pounds which are the standard weight.
- Warranty-has a viable warranty to guarantee the quality of the product to the clients.
- Great sound quality
- Has phono input
- Easy installation
- Easy to use
- it does not support Bluetooth
Best Receiver for turntables Buying Guide
Budget – consider the amount of more you have and how much you are willing to use while buying one. There are cheap, expensive, used and new in the market to buy one that is of affordable price and the best quality. There are multiple cheap stereo receivers for record players in the market.
Phono input-most vinyl record players especially the old ones have no built-in phono inputs so make a point of buying one with phono input to boost the sound volume and quality of your vinyl player. Buy the receiver with a phono input for record players.
Installation– you don’t need to be an expert to install this machine a noob can also connect this one.
Warranty-Before have this one make sure to check if it has a warranty so you can return if it is not compatible with your turntable and get your money back if need be. Most of them have two years warranty.
Sound quality-go gets yourself a receiver that makes your records sounds as if you are listening to the artist performing in your house. The better the sound output, the better the device.
Compatibility-purchase a stereo receiver or amplifier that works with multiple devices like the home theater system, TV, mobile devices and has HDMI slots. Make sure it has analog audio inputs to allow you to link with modern devices.
Bluetooth-Buy a Bluetooth feature supported stereo which is essential and the maximum number of devices that can be supported. The feature makes it easy to use.
Personal preference-our taste in music is different so buy the device that best suits your interest, and you will appreciate the vinyl record albums at another level.
Speakers-if you want a receiver with multiple speaker support than research more on the maximum number of speakers one can hold because it differs from the rest.
Remote control– devices with remote controls are easy to use as it is just connecting the vinyl player to it and speakers and selecting the songs you want to listen to in an album.
Weight-the weight should be considered as you set up the place to lay .it may be cumbersome to move around by you and may have an added fee charged when shipping.
Material-some is made of quality, durable material while others are made of a fake material that easily fades breaks or is not replaceable.
Spare parts– buy one with spare parts available in the market to all you to replace the ruined parts with new ones instead of buying entirely new equipment.
Radio availability-don’t forget to choose a device inclusive of an FM and AM radio input. These will serve an extra purpose in addition to working with the turntable. Make sure the antenna is packed as it is mostly forgotten.
New and used– the best entry-level receivers are available new and they perform multiple tasks at a better speed compared to the old ones. The used ones can be refurbished to keep them working.
Taking all the above factors to consider during the purchase of a stereo receiver there is a hundred percent chance of getting what you are looking for. They are available as either new or used buy any depending on how much you trust the source. Getting the vintage amplifiers requires plenty of patience as it is not easy to find one it may take more time than you think. The most modern models are Bluetooth enabled and can be remote-controlled making command giving easier and possible without touching the receiver. Choose the receiver that best suits your style.
The best vinyl player receivers function by boosting the output so the music playing can be amplified and background noises dampened. Proper care of the records, use of a good quality stylus and proper equipment are keys to good sound output.
Having all this information in mind and at heart, choose the receiver that will boost your vinyl player for maximum results. The best receiver for turntable will get you in the mood where you can touch the actual notes of the song, feel the depth of lyrics flow through your veins and as your body moves in synchrony with the beat transporting you to a different dimension.