The majority of people put great attention to creating a solid music system, but they forget that it is important their vinyl records remain in an optimal condition. It means you have to clean them on a regular basis for ensuring quality sound when you play them on the system.
Now, you may have a question in mind, i.e. how to clean vinyl records? If yes, then this post is entirely created for you. In this post, we will tell you about the exact way of cleaning these records for enjoying the amazing sound. We will tell you about a variety of methods from which you can choose one as per your convenience level. Let’s start the process guys! you can also have look at this best record cleaner article for finding a record cleaner.
Cleaning vinyl records using hands
It is one of the efficient methods for cleaning the dirt and dust that collects on the vinyl records. You need to follow the below-mentioned steps for following this process.
- You need certain items for eliminating the dirt. It consists of things like dish soap, a cleaning brush, a washcloth, and rubber gloves. If you have all these things, then move to the next step.
- Start the process by filling some water in the basin and adding a suitable portion of the soap to it. Don’t forget to stir the basin with your hand for making sure the soap gets mixed properly. Now bring all the vinyl records that you want to clean.
- In this step, you have to pick up a record and put it in the basin. Move the edges using your hands without touching the grooves in the basin.
- Once the complete surface gets wet, you need to wet the brush and start moving it in a circular motion. Repeat this process at least ten You can also do it five times clockwise and the other five times anti-clockwise.
If there is a heavy presence of dirt, then you have to perform it up to 20 times. Always make sure that the label never gets touched. Follow this process for both sides.
- After cleaning the records, you need to put them in a sink and run water over them. Flip to the other side after cleaning the first one. Clean all your records using water.
- After cleaning with water, you should dry them using a washcloth. You should do this work softly and don’t put too much pressure on the vinyl record. Now leave it for a few hours before playing them in the system.
That’s all if you want to follow this, then there is no need to worry. We will tell you about two more methods.
Cleaning vinyl record using a record washer
If you don’t want to follow the lengthy process using the hands, then using a record washer will be the best decision for you. You can buy a record washer through which vinyl records get properly cleaned with minimal effort. To clean the vinyl records with a record washer, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Firstly, you should buy a record washer kit. There is a great variety of these systems available online as well as in retail stores. You should buy one that suits your budget and requirements perfectly.
- For those who don’t know, a record washer is a manual system that comes with brushes, rollers, and cleaning solutions for removing the dirt from the records.
- Operating this system is very easier as all you need to do is insert the record into the washer and rotate it with your hand a few
- That’s all; the records will be cleaned
There is a little bit of extra pressure put by this system on the records. However, this method is perfect for people who have a huge collection of vinyl in their wardrobe.
Cleaning vinyl records using a vacuum cleaner
There is no doubt this method is the best answer to the question “how to clean vinyl records.” You can utilize the power of a vacuum-powered cleaner and clean your records effortlessly. They are specially made for cleaning vinyl records so there is no chance that it will put any harmful effect on them like the other two methods mentioned in this post.
They were designed with the ability to eliminate all the dust and dirt that gathered in the grooves of the vinyl. Also, there will be very low pressure and physical pressure involved in cleaning using this medium. While buying keep one thing in mind that there are many cheap models available on the market that comes at a heavy price. That’s why you should perform proper research before buying a cleaner.
As you can see, the vacuum cleaner is the best method if you want to maintain the health of your records. It is a small investment that you have to do. However, you can also go for any of the first two methods as per your convenience level. have a look at our list of vinyl records of all time.
Why are cleaning vinyl records important?
If you are a vinyl music lover, then you must be aware of the necessity to maintain the health of your favorite records. Let’s check out some reasons for cleaning the records:
Increase their lifespan
If you start cleaning your records on a regular basis, then it will not only sound perfect but also last much longer than its original lifespan. Furthermore, your vinyl’s health also gets affected by playing dirty records. The dirt in them creates friction that directly puts pressure on the vinyl. So, it is better to clean your records for maintaining their quality as well as protecting vinyl.
Contaminants in the new records
It is one of the most overlooked points in our musical community. There is a great number of contaminants in the new records that consist of packaging impurities, factory dust, and lots of releasing agents that stick to them while the manufacturing process.
We all know that the factories aren’t cleaned places, and you will find lots of impurities. They stick with the vinyl records that make it important to clean them. Also, new records charged statically that promote the dust and other impurities to stick with the surface. So, it is important for you to eliminate all of them, so they don’t reach your vinyl system.
We have only told you about two of many reasons to keep your records cleaned and free from contaminants. As you can see, doing this simple activity will not let them last longer, but also make sure that your vinyl doesn’t feel too much pressure while playing them.
Materials you should avoid to clean vinyl records
- materials that used for any kind of furniture polishing
- Flammable liquid
- Steel wool can damage record
We believe that now you have got all the important information about the methods to clean the vinyl records and why it is important. You can use any of the three methods mentioned in this post to maintain the health of the records in a sophisticated manner. The dirt on the records is the main reason to reduce the quality of sound in the vinyl, and you can avoid this issue by following the things mentioned in this post. If you feel something is missing in this article, then please email us and write in the comment section. Our team will reach to you as soon as possible.